For routine online shoppers, OTPs are just another part of the process, but these secret codes safeguard your precious data! By educating ourselves on OTP care and sharing of such sensitive information, we can protect ourselves from online theft, fraud, and loss of sensitive information. Read on to know why sharing your OTP can be dangerous and how you can do so safely, when required.
At a time when most of your sensitive information is digitized and you now require an OTP for almost all digital transactions, it pays to be extremely cautious with these secret codes. This is especially pertinent now, as data shows that OTP fraud has been steadily rising since 2017, with 1,091 cases recorded in 2020.
Be it the OTP you receive to log in to your Flipkart account, make payments, update your mobile number, change your email information or to reset your password, all OTPs are highly sensitive authorization codes. Valid only for a single session or transaction, they form a key part of the two-factor authentication mechanism, or 2FA, used to keep your private information secure.
Why should you keep your OTP private?
Your Flipkart account contains details such as your name, mobile number, date of birth, email ID, addresses, and even payment information. Unauthorized access to this information can spell disaster, where some of the risks include identity theft, financial loss, increased vulnerability to digital scams, or harassment.
Similarly, there are consequences to exposing your OTP during financial transactions. With access to this code, a fraudster can access all this information. Flipkart representatives will never ask for payment OTPs over a call or via text. Fraudsters may attempt to do so under the guise that it is the recommended approach to complete a purchase or transaction. Be wary of such tactics as sharing your OTP can also grant them access to your account, which can be used for wrongful purposes.
What are the different OTPs sent by Flipkart?
As the OTP is only valid for a single transaction or login session, Flipkart sends different OTPs based on the action initiated on your end. To give you a better idea of what to expect and how to identify genuine messages sent by Flipkart, here are a few examples of the OTP messages.
1. The OTP message you receive to log in to your Flipkart account:
2. The OTP message you receive to update your phone number on a Flipkart account:
3. The OTP message you receive to reset the password for a Flipkart account:
You may also receive an email on your registered email ID with the OTP.
4: An email with the OTP message to update your email address for a Flipkart account:
5: The OTP you receive to order a product using a debit/credit card or netbanking:
When and with whom can you share an OTP?
While most OTPs are for your eyes only, there are some you can share with authorized personnel. Here are a few instances:
- At the time of delivery of high-value products.
You will receive a message and will need to share the OTP with the Flipkart Wishmaster to complete delivery.
- During a COD order for creating a return request.
You will receive an OTP, which has to be shared over the call.
Do note that during delivery of high-value products, ensure that you share the OTP with an authorized Flipkart Wishmaster. They must confirm your OTP and hand you the product. In case of a return, share the OTP received by confirming the product details to return. Do not share your OTP in any other instance. Flipkart does not contact customers via call or text to ask for your login OTP, password reset OTP or financial transaction OTP.
What are the best hygiene practices?
To develop the right habits when it comes to protecting your sensitive information and your secret OTP codes, here are a few tips.
- No financial institution or e-commerce service provider will ask you to read out your OTP. If they do, do not follow their instruction and cut the call.
- If you are booking a product or service on any platform through a phone call, you will be asked to enter the OTP code using your keypad. Do not dictate or read out the OTP over the call.
- Avoid links sent through SMS from unknown numbers. These are attempts to take over your device and access private information.
- Do not forward texts or messages containing an OTP to anyone.
- Verify and double-check the amount that will be debited before entering an OTP. Be sure to check the merchant’s name and any other information in the OTP message. If there are any mismatches, cancel the transaction.
By following these tips, you can shop safely not only on Flipkart but also when conducting any other digital transactions. Handle your OTP with care and enjoy shopping online via the Flipkart App or website without any hassles or worries!
Read our blogs to find helpful tips like these and other helpful resources on safe commerce.